Sunday, November 27, 2016

A weekend of "firsts."

Trying new things for the first time is a risk, but usually the outcome is beneficial to you.

This weekend I went to SPoT Coffee in Buffalo, NY, and I tried a Macchiato for the first time. I was picturing your average Caramel Macchiato, however, I received a tiny ceramic cup which looked like something you might play with at a tea party.

Photo Credit to Aubrey K. from Yelp.com

I figured I would try it even though it looked strange, and it was nothing like I expected. It was just 2 shots of espresso and foamed milk on top. Not the sweet creamy caramel-y latte tasting drink I am used to.

However, now I understand the espresso drinks a bit more and will always clarify before purchasing.

Someone else who had a first experience this weekend was my friend, Katie Watts. Watts had SPoT coffee for the first time and was there to laugh with me and share the experience I had with the Macchiato.

Watts came home with me for Thanksgiving break because she is from the United Kingdom, studying abroad at The College at Brockport for a year.

Watts had the opportunity to experience the true life of an American family.

"I went to Niagara Falls for the first time, I went to Buffalo for the first time... I had my first Friends-Giving, I had my first Thanksgiving,  I feel like I had a proper first taste at what it's like to live as an American and live in an American family which was really fun," Watts said.

Some of the other places she was able to go to for the first time were Marshall's, Hobby Lobby, P.F. Chang's, The Elmwood Village, Delaware Park, and one of Downtown Buffalo's newest restaurant additions, The 716.

"I got to experience proper chicken wings in Buffalo so that was really fun and really tasty," Watts said.

A lot of the food in America is really different and Watts says she has enjoyed tasting so many new things. Besides true Buffalo chicken wings, Watts had cornbread, banana cream pie, a Tim Horton's iced capp, monkey bread, and of course a Thanksgiving dinner, all for the very first time.

Watts said the Thanksgiving dinner was similar to a British Sunday Roast, and that there were many similarities in her experiences as well.

Watts is glad to have had the opportunity to experience life in America, and she can't wait to tell her family back home all about it as well. She even already began to share by FaceTiming her family and friends while at Niagara Falls, so that they could experience the moment with her.

Katie and I agreed that the most fun moments of the weekend were the unplanned adventures we encountered, as the spontaneity led to even more firsts.


"I feel like this week has been the best week I've had since being in America and like its been so much fun and I've never been made to feel so welcome in one of my friends houses here before," Watts said.

This weekend has reminded me that there is always room for firsts. I was born and raised in Buffalo, but I was able find new adventures in the same places I had already been, just with new people.


No comments:

Post a Comment